Ashes to Ashes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It is currently the summer of 2020. You may post everywhere but the Schools unless you are a teacher.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Testing the Limits of the Dead

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

Testing the Limits of the Dead Empty
PostSubject: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 10:03 pm

The lean frame of the youngish appearing man was relaxed completely against the cushions of the sofa. Eyes were shut, head leaning back giving off the appearance of sleep. In reality, Cain was soaking up the feeling of the magic that was released day after day. Not all of it was melevolent or had a malicious feel. The negative magic was almost like a poison while the innocent magic was a balm to the school.

Ignoring the slight itch along his skin from the iron in the room, Cain felt the tempature drop. It had been disconcerting at first to find oneself with the walking spirits. Having grown used to it, he had expected whichever one it was to quickly pass through the room. Maybe he should see about getting a youngling to try turning the metal in the windows to silver.

Eyelids opening to mere slits he queried, "You are neither staff nor living, so what is it your business here?"
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Aldan had been honestly lonely, unable to find a companionable partner to read a new book with (seeing as he wasn't very much mastered in the art of lifting objects up or capable of moving them), or even to see a professor to see if they would like to discuss their lesson plans with him. He was always eager to listen to them. As such, he'd gone roaming the castle once again, mostly to look for Professor Novikov so he could ask him a question or two.

The one place on the ground floor he had not visited in his entire life had been the staff room. He'd been so sure all of the professors were busy, so he had floating towards the sacred room with a mischievous child-like smile on his dimpled face and purged forward.

His brand new fun was definitely put to a halt when someone was in there! It wasn't a person he'd acquainted himself yet and no one had ever mentioned him before, or else Aldan would remember. He ground to a halt, transparent feet stopping a foot in the air.

"Uhm, I'm very sorry for intruding," fumbled Aldan. "I was exploring, you see, and also looking for Professor Novikov. He told me I could ask questions about his plants and I was wanting to know if he could show me about a plant a student was reading about yesterday." He fiddled with his sleeve nervously. "Have you seen him?"
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 10:37 pm

At the mention of the Herbology professor, a cat like grin crossed Cain's face. Slowly opening his eyes and sitting up lazily, the man's gaze rested on the pale form. A child's spirit, this could be fun. They were ever so much,more enjoyable and sometimes cleverer then their adult counterparts. Children were much more imaginative and creative. His smile grew to a cheshire like quality.

Crossing his legs, Cain answered, "Did he just say you could ask questions or did he say you could ask and he'd answer?"

With his on his palm and eyes lit with amusement, the Aos Sí thought how wonderful humans were to leave their words so open. Humming in concession. "I have."
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Tilting his head to the side, the spirit frowned thoughtfully. "He told me if I needed to know something, I should let him know. I suppose that means just asking, not that he'd answer, but I believe he'd be kind enough to answer them," he said logically. He floated a little higher before lowering himself again.

He watched the unknown man confusedly, not sure if he was a professor yet. He thought he'd met them all, but evidently he did not. "Oh you have? Will you tell me where he is then, uhm professor?" he ventured on the given occupational title, not sure of the man. He offered up a cheerful smile in hopes the man would tell him.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Throwing back his head the male laughed full throated thoroughly entertained. His mirth evident in his voice he answered, "I am not a professor."

It was always amusing when the students were unsure of what to call him. He was not a professor yet he did have rank over the students. Essentially Cain was the professor's fetch and carry person.

"At this precise moment I do not know where he is," he replied truthfully. He had to word his responses carefully. He couldn't say he couldn't guess or where the man would be.

Considering the shade before him, Cain stood up. "Is this plant so terribly important to find out about? You're a child wouldn't you rather play a game?"
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Aldan frowned again, listening to the mans laughing answer. If he wasn't a professor, who was he? "Oh... Are you a friend of a professor?" He didn't know if the man was allowed in here then, but Aldan didn't know if even he was allowed in here. He decided not to push the issue and turned his focus to other matters. He was disappointed when the man said he hadn't an idea where the man was. Wait. Precise moment?

"Do you know if he will be in here soon?" He asked curiously. This man's wording was very strange. He did think of the question. Why was this plant important? He supposed because it was something he would like to know, being a Ravenclaw ghost and all. But he didn't think that was a plausible answer.

"What kind of game though?" He asked, head tilted with his brown eyes alight in excitement.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Tilting his head in thought, Cain peered at the boy. "Whatever gave you that impression?"

Cain didn't have any friends, not among these humans. There wasn't any point to. They lived such short lives even those that live longer because of their magical heritage. They were not bretheren or kin. If pushed they were the degenerated distant cousin no one talked about because it was shameful.

'Clever little human,' he thought. This would be more fun knowing that. "Soon in regards to what? Time is so very differential." Cain waved a hand dismissively.

"An entertaining one of course. Out of curiosity, can you still perform magic?"
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 12:12 am

Thinking of what to say, Aldan crossed his legs as he hovered, sitting Indian style. "You're... In the staff lounge and only professors are usually in here. I've seen friends and family of them visit though so it's not too random of a thought that you'd be a friend. I don't think you'd be a family member though." He thought it through aloud, shrugging sheepishly.

"In regards to today? At... 5:46pm!" Aldan felt a little proud of the exact time. He knew by 5:30 classes would end today and while he didn't know the herbology schedule, he knew dinner started at 6:30 so perhaps the professor would return here.

"Oh? I think I can, but it's very tiring if I do too much magic," he said seriously. He'd tried levitating a book to read and had ended up exhausted and curled up in a corner of the school for several days after he tried. But he'd kept at it and could perform parlor tricks if he tried hard enough.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 am

"Correct on all accounts. I am none of those things, but I do work here." With a certainty, Cain would say the apparition had been whatever those blue crested clique are. Even dead the boy wanted to learn.

Chuckling, Cain shook his head. He didn't know nor care about the professor's schedule. It wasn't as if the Aos Sí adhered to it. He came and went as he pleased. If a class looked promising he stayed longer to watch such as the child who hadn't heeded the advics to stay away from the carnivorous plant. Boring classes he would go fetch plants, roots, clippings and such if they were low. Or he'd run to the castle to give the items to the Potions professor. The medical wing was the one place he refused to go. Let the wizards believe he had a phobia about it. Better then them learning the real truth.

"There is the possibility. As long as the disorder of his classroom and/or office isn't too...much." His mouth twitched, eyes lighting up. He had half a mind to do something about one of those.

"Then we shall keep it to something simple shall we?" Even dead the boy should be able to conjure up a few. "How many 'fairy lights' can you produce?"
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 1:19 am

So he did work here? His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Maybe he was a staff member then? An assistant? He'd find out later. He uncrossed his legs and straightened his legs, hovering lower to the ground as he peered at the man. His lips twitched as if it were an inside joke. Aldan wondered if said disorder was caused by this man, but he wasn't one to accuse someone when he had no valid proof.

"I suppose I would have to try and produce them to find out how many. I've practiced my magic quite a lot so I should be able to produce a few." Aldan replied thoughtfully. He had no wand any longer but his magic was in him and this his hand was just as capable, though It might explain his initial exhaustion. Nevertheless he held a palm out and whispered the incantation that he remembered. Handful of lights withdrew from his hand, spreading at his fingertips. It tingles but Aldan beamed proudly at his accomplishment.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 12:04 am

Not having pulled off mischeif of any kind for the past seventy-two hours, it was long overdue. As the different ideas of tricks and games to play flittered through his mind, Cain's smile was like a cat that got the canary. Hearing that the ghost would assist filled him with energy. Eagerly he watched the boy's opaque hand avidly.

As always, Cain found it quite curious that the magical humans had to speak to mold and form their magic. Words and wands. Humans: the only magical beings that use both. Other creatures didn't need such outlets. Apparently after a magical human died they didn't need their wooden toys.

Blue eyes shining with premeditated amusement, he raised a hand. Fingers splayed with a slight upturn of his lips, Cain cast out his magic. "It's alright," he informed the ghost. "Just go with it and don't fight it."

This thing he was doing, the touching of another's magic was not something to undertake lightly. To his people it was only to be done with permission. However, it wasn't as if Cain would be probing deeply or mingling their magic for any prolonged period. It was going to be brief and for a bit of fun.

The magic quested through the air toward's the dead wizard's own magic. Questioning and curious it touched the foreign power. A thin layer of the Aos Sí's magic coated the light, pulling and encouraging it into the shape it wanted. The shape in question was that of a petite naked winged woman.
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 3:35 pm

'Just go with it, don't fight it?' The ghost child mused as he heard the advice. Was he fighting his magic? Or rather was he making it harder by trying to cast magic as if it were a wand in his hand? The former Ravenclaw pondered this fact.

The feeling of someone else's magic touching his own was incredible. His magic sparked at the touch of something alive, a difference to his own spiritual presence. He watched in bemusement as it shaped itself before turning into a form he hadn't seen before.

"How did you do that?" The dead wizard asked in astonishment.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 11:15 pm

"Magic," came the amused reply with a wink. A child's magic was different than an adults no matter the magical race. However, Cain was unsurprised that the ghost boy had felt the difference of human magic versus Aos Sí.

"And practice. I think she likes you," Cain informed as the spectre they'd made together flew about the boy's head and blew kisses at him among other antics.

Laughing, he smiled quite proud of himself and eyes dancing. Mind going to wondering how many they could make and disperse in the Great Hall during meal time. That could be the diversion while he perhaps changed the menu. It would be disruptive and provide entertainment.
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Aldan tilted his head to the side at the answer, wondering specifically how he could use his own magic. There was still so much to learn even after decades of being dead and living in a magical school. He wiggled his transparent fingers and smiled in delight as the little thing that seemed to hum like a hummingbird.

He laughed aloud, wonder alighting his face when it flew around him and threw kisses. Floating alongside it, he prodded at the little thing and beamed when it made a squeak of some sort. He turned to the man and gave him an eager smile before he paused.

"I'm sorry! I never said my name to you, have I? Terribly rude of me. I'm Aldan. Aldan Chaos. I was a Ravenclaw here when I went to school." He always felt the need to introduce himself as such, mostly because he'd been proud to be in the house of the clever and witty.

Introductions out of the way, he would've bounced if gravity ruled his body. Alas he settled for floating about and around the man. "What else can you do?" he asked eagerly.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:06 am

The ghost boy was very intriguing causing Cain to want to keep the boy as a pet. He wouldn't have to worry about feeding it or the messier part that came after feeding. Washing was also something he wouldn't have to bother with. Keeping the ghost entertained would likely be his biggest challenge. And yet...

As he watched him interact with the magic they'd created, Cain couldn't help but wonder at his innocence. Was it because he had died at that age? Ghosts were imprints of the being they had been. Whatever the case may be, it seemed that the Aos Sí would no longer be bored. He had.unexpectedly found himself a playmate. Or rather the playmate had found him.

At the boy giving his name, Cain replied how he always did. "Cain, and not rude at all. That was rather actually quite clever. If you'd been alive giving your name to some would have been foolish. However as you are dead," he stated bluntly. "I have no idea what the effects would be."

Proud and smug that he'd been proven right about the boy's house, Cain smirked. At the child like enthusiasm he laughed. Spreading his hands palms up, the man twisted his wrists while his fingers closed. Bring his arms up towards his chest he then flung them out while opening his hands. It was a bit flashy but that was what he was going for.

While his brother was adept at scrying, Cain was adept in glamours and illusions. The illusion he wove was for Aldan to see more of the fairy lights in rainbow hues coupled with palm sized dragons complete with fire. It had kept him entertained as a child. Conjuring up playthings drawing from things he'd seen, read, or imagined.

"Depends on what I'm doing, feeling, or whom I'm with. And what of yourself, Aldan? Quite curious your name."
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 am

A giggle escaped him. "Cain means 'beautiful' in Welsh. It's a very interesting name though."

Unsure of what effects giving his name away would have either, the boy merely shrugged happily. He continued to circle the little thing that floated gleefully with him and grinned happily. His eyes widened in amazement when a handful of fairy lights of various colors swarmed around him, followed by tiny dragons that roared with flames. He gave a laugh of delight and wonder as he followed them and giggled with glee. They were so fun! He'd never seen creations such as these and the sight before him made the former Ravenclaw want to analyze every detail so that he could produce the results as well. For now though, he was content to study them.

"My name?" he asked, tilting his head. "My mama gave me my name when I was born. I like it, cause I don't know much about her except that she was very pretty. I won't ever get to meet her, but that's okay." He smiled wistfully at the thought before turning his thoughts to other subjects.

"So to be able to produce all of this. What are you feeling then?" he asked curiously.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 am

"Does it?" He asked curiously as well as a bit smug. Even without knowing it, he'd chosen a fitting name for one of his tribe. Oh he knew quite well how vain he was and thought it entirely proper.

Watching the spectres and boy proudly and with amuement, Cain thought he did well. He'd chosen a good name, and a good job to have fun, and now he'd gotten,himslef a new pet. This was turning out to be quite fun and not at all the failure and dire dangerous situation that Bolcán had gone on about. These wizards were a never ending supply of entertainment and hilarity. When not traumatizing their young.

"Mmm. Aldan means old friend. Combined with your family name Chaos. I wouldn't doubt that your family were mischief makers or bringers of chaos." Old friend of chaos indeed. A gleam appeared in the Aos Sí's eyes. He would have to check out his new pet's lineage.

A grin stretched across Cain's face as he honestly stated, "It was either this or a huge jelly bowl to test if it really is like a trampoline. So I'm sure you know what I was feeling."
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 1:20 am

Aldan laughed at the comment of a bowl of jelly. He floated around Cain before his interest was caught by the sight of the books laying around the staff table. Remembering why he'd come looking for the Herbology Professor, Aldan floated towards the books and peaked at their titles curiously. Students didn't leave books out too often so he only ever could browse titles when he wanted to read.

"Have you read this one, Cain?" Aldan asked, pointing at the book curiously. He peaked closer. It was covered by another book but he could just make out part of a word. Was it a history book?

Wanting to see further, the 11 year old in body narrowed his eyes and tried to use a levitation charm. After having gotten to cast magic with Cain, he wanted to try again and accomplish this little task.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 2:48 am

Seeing that the fun might be possibly over for the moment, Cain followed the young ghost. Twisting nearly upside down to look at where Aldan was pointing. And they were back to the books. Those were only half responsible for the Ravenclaw's cleverness he was sure. What was it with human and books? His own people had books but Cain was past the mandatory stage of learning. Even when he was younger it wasn't all reading. Most of the time it was personal training like in the really old days.

Deciding he still wanted to play with his new pet, a cheeky expression appeared. Wanting to see how smart the ghost boy really was and how he'd go about getting his answers. "Can't say as I have. Wizard books may be amusing but ultimately are boring."

Catching what the boy was doing, Cain gracefully dropped down to couch. Canceling his illusions and dispersing his magic, he waited, anticipating what would happen next. If Aldan would be able to expand what magic he might have retained. Wondered if anyone had ever experimented before. And very happy that his pet was going to help him and seemed just as happy to oblige.
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 9:00 am

Aldan deflated in eagerness when Cain admitted to not having read it. Nor did the man even pick it up so he could see the full title. Aldan was always naturally curious, being even more so the longer he was a ghost. He'd never pass on to the afterlife, even if he was given an exorcist. Myrtle had one by some loony kids half a decade ago he remembered. They'd only done that because she was nosy. But myrtle hadn't performed magic either. Aldan seldom saw other ghosts do magic actually.

He continued with trying to use his levitation charm to no avail. Oh wait. Cain said earlier to let it go. He closed his eyes and pictures the book lifting upwards toward him. His magic tingled and pulsed before he felt it give a questioning hum. He opened his eyes and gasped. He'd done it. Before him floated the book! Admittedly not very high up but he would get there. He clapped his hands, no sound emitting from his non-corporal body as he turned to Cain.

"Look! It works!" He said excitedly.
Back to top Go down
Cáel Fianna

Other

Cáel Fianna

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Cain clapped as the ghost was able to hover the book. It wasn't as if he'd doubted the childlike being. If anyone.could tap into their own energy it would be he pet. "Very good, youngling."

Maybe with practice his pet would be able to use his natural magic. Not even he knew how shades stayed, but knew they had their own set of magicks and laws. Perhaps having been a wizard his shade would retain a bit of his mortal magic? It seemed to be shaping up that way. And here Cain had thought he would be done studying at this point. A pout almost crossed the Aos Sí's face. He too was still young by his people's standard though reached what a brilliant human long ago called 'tweens'.

"Tell me, Aldan." Cain was very curious having not bothered to interact with shades. "Are your kind always opaque?"

That had to be eating up reserves of energy that the shade could put fowards lifting the book or other amusements.
Back to top Go down
Aldan Chaos

Halfblood

Aldan Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Aldan turned to look at the adult with a surprised look. His kind? He supposed he wasn't entirely human nowadays, being a ghost. He sought out the companionship of other ghosts when they were willing to allow him into their company. Being a child forevermore, they seldom paid much attention to him when they were busy. Although they had taught him quite alot about what he was now.

"Uh-huh," he responded, nodding. "Except well... uhm... If I do too much of this stuff like trying to make lights appear and everything, I fade cause I get all exhausted. I don't sleep, but I can blank out for a time until my energy comes back. Nick told me that the more energy I use, the more I blank out and kind of fade out... So I guess that's the only time I'm not opaque."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Testing the Limits of the Dead   Testing the Limits of the Dead I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Testing the Limits of the Dead

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ashes to Ashes :: THIS & THAT :: 2014-